The Essex County Library is seeking applications for the Manager, Information Services full-time position. Reporting to the CEO/Chief Librarian, the Manager, Information Services (IS) participates with the Management Team in strategic and operational planning and is accountable for all matters relating to Information and Technology Services. The Manager, IS is responsible for the overall oversight of technology for the library system, and to be aware of professional library trends and improving service delivery through assistance of current technologies.
Apply By: February 9, 2019 at 12:00 Noon
Apply by Email: email@example.com (Word or PDF document)
Apply by Mail:
Attention: Manager, Human Resources Essex County Library
360 Fairview Avenue West, Suite 101 Essex, ON N8M 1Y3
Reporting to the CEO/Chief Librarian, the Manager, Information Services (IS) participates with the Management Team in strategic and operational planning and is accountable for all matters relating to Information and Technology Services. The Manager, IS is responsible for the overall oversight of technology for the library system, and to be aware of professional library trends and improving service delivery through assistance of current technologies.
Post Secondary degree in Computer Science
Primary Responsibilities Leadership & Administration
- works with the Library Board, CEO/Chief (CEO) Librarian and Management Team to support the delivery of the ECL Vision, Mission, and Strategic Directions
- works closely with and supports the CEO in the effective management of Information Services
- facilitates and supports accurate and timely two-way communication amongst all departments and, as required, key external stakeholders
- models behaviours that demonstrate commitment to the Library’s Vision, Mission and Values
- actively maintains professional skills by reading professional journals, attending conferences, participating in training and listservs and actively communicates with members of the professional library community
- attends, prepares and presents reports for the Library Board
- attends and represents the Essex County Library Board at Essex County Council meetings, as required.
Strategic Planning and Project Management
- as part of the Management Team, works to collaboratively identify and implement annual project priorities in direct alignment with Strategic Plan
- leads working committees through the creation of project plans, execution of plans, collaborates and communicates with team members, and reviews projects for outcomes and results.
Legislation and Standards
- interprets and applies the terms of the Collective Agreement (CA) ensuring compliance with terms of the agreement; documents practices arising from the interpretation and application of the CA
- ensures compliance with government legislation related to: Employment Standards, Health and Safety Standards, Human Resources Standards, WSIB and any other legislation as required.
- has a strong understanding of the Ontario Public Libraries Act, and how the Act influences the delivery of Community and Information services.
Employee Recruitment and Staffing
- develops staffing plans in collaboration with CEO and Managers to ensure effective and timely deployment and the fulfillment of anticipated needs
- maintains recruitment and staffing best practices; collaborates with other members of the hiring team to improve the recruitment and selection process
- participates in interviews with CEO, Managers and Supervisors as appropriate
- leads the process to prepare interview questions and appropriate rating systems
- responsible for the hiring, transferring and performance management of direct reporting staff.
Employee Training and Evaluation
- collaborates with the CEO and Managers in the development and monitoring of training plans
- ensures that all jobs are reviewed on a cyclical basis and position descriptions are current
- manages and supports staff performance and development:
- providing consistent communication, feedback, coaching and empowerment;
- working with staff to address/resolve performance or process issues;
- creating development plans to build core competencies and personal effectiveness;
- provides coaching to employees for performance management and the resolution of workplace issues.
- participates in the negotiation of the Collective Agreement
- interprets and administers the Collective Agreement through responses togrievances at the first level of the grievance process.
- creates a team environment which fosters and develops high performance and effective working relationships; acts as a change agent to positively encourage others and manage change
- builds support for the Library’s Vision and goals/objectives by communicating expectations and rationales; looks for daily opportunities to highlight the connection between overall strategy and day-to-day operational activities
- builds teamwork and team effectiveness
- celebrates department by taking opportunities to express positiveexpectations and feedback on an individual basis and through team celebrations; shares successes with other parts of the organization as appropriate.
- responsible for all aspects of technology infrastructure, including network, firewall, Integrated Library System, hardware and software for staff and public
- provides the technology vision, leadership, infrastructure, tools and services to support excellent customer service
- in collaboration with the Managerment Team identifies, selects and deploys new technology to support the delivery of strategic, innovative, public-facing programs and services
- provides front-line technology troubleshooting and problem-solving when necessary, including: PC applications, end-user hardware and software problems
- serves as the library’s technology representative to various organizations and network providers and is a member of relevant external committees
- performs other duties as assigned.