Green Shield Canada (GSC) is revolutionizing the healthcare industry as part of our mission to ensure better health for all!
In 1957, our founder, pharmacist William Wilkinson, witnessed a mother sacrifice her health by forgoing her own medicine to ensure she could afford a prescription for her sick daughter. He knew there had to be a better way! He introduced North America’s first prepaid drug plan, and Green Shield was born as a not-for-profit health benefits provider that re-invested its earnings to support better health for all Canadians.
Today, we follow in the footsteps of our founder as we continue our pursuit of a better way. No longer just a traditional health and dental benefits provider, Green Shield is now the first integrated health services organization in Canada that is both a payer (offering insurance, administering benefits, and paying claims) and a provider (offering medical, mental health, and pharmacy services).
This means we can uniquely offer:
- Direct access to real time professional health services
- Convenience to engage our services anywhere, anytime, effortlessly
- Integration of our services, creating a seamless experience
- Improved health outcomes via preventative care and treatment, and data driven insights
This evolution also deepens our social mission through both financial support and the direct delivery of services to support local communities and underserved populations across Canada.
THE ROLE IN A NUTSHELL
The Software Developer is an intermediate level position. The Software Developer will be a skilled developer with demonstrated software development experience, who is capable of completing assignments with minimal supervision and detailed direction. The Software Developer is skilled in the use of current programming languages and tools and generally acts as a team resource on custom development initiatives.
Software development initiatives will range in size and complexity. In the case of small independent sub-systems (i.e. 1 to 3 online screens or 1-2 basic batch programs) or basic modifications to existing systems, they could be called upon to manage the development effort with only supervisory monitoring.
The Software Developer assures that the software programs and associated tasks to which they are assigned are developed, tested and completed according to departmental standards and defined client requirements.
Applications will be received until 7 p.m. EST, February 28, 2023.
Our purpose is rewarding, but we don’t stop there. Check out these perks:
- Time to recharge: Vacation days, an end of year holiday shutdown, and even your birthday off!
- Extensive health and wellness benefits starting on day 1: We are in the health benefits business, after all!
- A flexible work schedule: The flexibility to work from home 3 days a week.
GSC supports diversity, equity and inclusion in our teams and communities, and we value the unique contributions made by all individuals. Even if your experience doesn’t align perfectly to every requirement in this posting, but you are excited about this opportunity, we invite you to apply from the page that opens by clicking “Apply Now”.
Providing this information gives GSC consent to use your personal information to assess your suitability for specific positions, future opportunities or for your personnel file. Your résumé will be held in strict confidence and will be viewed only by the Organization. Information may be stored outside of Canada and could be used for aggregate statistical purposes (which uses no personal identification).
We encourage applications from all candidates and will accommodate needs under human rights legislation throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please let us know of any accommodations through email@example.com. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- Minimum of 3-4 years of business application development experience.
- Requires an intermediate level of coding, technical and time management skills.
- Requires a strong working knowledge of the functions of the development tools installed at Green Shield and utilizes these tools specifically in the development of application software.
- Designs and develops modules of logic, including data base access methods, for online and batch application in one or more programming environments such as C++, C#, .NET, SQL, and other languages as required.
- Oracle PL/SQL experience would be considered an asset.
- Must be able to interpret application design into code design and produce optimized software solutions compliant with industry and corporate development standards
- Has strong interpersonal skills and can work effectively with IT peers, and/or internal clients
- Must be able to carry out the iterative review of online screens and reports and to implement required revisions where necessary.
- Must be able to present technical options and alternatives.
- Must be able to perform full unit testing on all components of a program.
- Must be fully versed and competent in the use of automated testing tools and utilities.
- Must be able to produce required documentation for all programs created or changed and able to write or assist in writing user or operational documentation
- Assures that all applications are developed with the highest quality and adhere to departmental standards for logic coding, version control and library management by requesting and participating in peer review sessions
- Participates with Software Developers and Senior Software Developers in the review of internal standards for code structure, language use, version control and code library management.
- May be called upon to participate in the evaluation of new tools and methodologies for the purpose of making recommendation for their use in the IT Department.
- Provides resource estimates for various components of the software development process in support of project planning and scheduling tasks.
- University Degree in Computer Science or a Community College Certificate in Computer Science or equivalent experience.