Get the latest Tech News, Events, Talent & Tech Jobs in Windsor-Essex & Chatham-Kent delivered directly to your inbox each month.
- This event has passed.
EPICentre – DIY Patents; should you file your own patent application?
February 15, 2018 @ 12:00 pm - 2:00 pmFREE
Securing quality patent rights in an invention isn’t a cheap or easy endeavour, but that first patent filing is an important step for a fledgling company. As a budget-conscious entrepreneur, you may have considered writing and filing your own patent application to save money… but wondered if you’d get what you paid for.
In this seminar, we’ll cover the basics of patents, and talk about the pros and cons of filing your own patent application, focusing in particular on the use of United States provisional applications to secure your place in line in the patent office. We’ll also discuss:
- Timing considerations when filing patent applications
- Provisional applications vs. regular patent applications
- How to evaluate whether you’re ready to file a provisional application
- Preparing and filing a provisional application
- How incomplete or premature applications may do more harm than good
- When to get professional help from a qualified patent agent, and how to control costs when you do
This seminar will be of interest to start-up companies, founders, researchers, innovators, and organizations new to patenting.
Additional Information for Attendees: Attendees have the option of a free initial consultation with Jenna on a 1-on-1 basis after the session. If this interests you, you must sign up in advance and email Nicole Anderson for more information: email@example.com.