Get the latest Tech News, Events, Talent & Tech Jobs in Windsor-Essex & Chatham-Kent delivered directly to your inbox each month.
- This event has passed.
National Science and Technology Week Kickoff Event
October 11, 2012 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pmFREE
National Science and Technology Week (NSTW) raises awareness about the importance of science and technology in today’s world–celebrating Canada’s historic and ongoing role as a leader in innovation. Come celebrate science and technology in Windsor-Essex on October 11th, 2012 at the Windsor Public Library! We invite you to join the activities and celebrate science and technology in our community.
Date: October 11th, 2012
Location: Central Library, 850 Ouellette Avenue
Time: 1:00 – 4:00PM (Open House)
Special Guest: Dr. Marc Garneau – First Canadian Astronaut into Space
About Marc Garneau: In 1984 Marc Garneau became the first Canadian in space. During his 15 years as a Canadian astronaut, Marc Garneau flew on three space missions and logged over 677 hours in space. Marc Garneau remained a passionate advocate for space exploration and a strong educator in his role as President of the Canadian Space Agency from 2001 to 2005. Marc Garneau resigned from the Space Agency to run as a Liberal candidate in the 2006 election in which he was defeated. He tried again in the 2008 federal election and won in the Montreal riding of Westmount – Ville-Marie. He was re-elected in 2011.
Marc Garneau Space Missions:
- Payload Specialist on Space Mission STS-41G – Space Shuttle Challenger – October 5-13, 1984
- Mission Specialist on Space Mission STS-77 – Space Shuttle Endeavour – May 19-29, 1996
- Mission Specialist on Space Mission STS-97 – Space Shuttle Endeavour – November 30 – December 11, 2000
Other community guests:
- Sandwich High School FIRST Robotics Team and “Droid” taking on the Windsor Express Basketball Team
- The University of Windsor and St. Clair College Robotics Programs
- The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada
- Canada South Science City
For more information, contact Irek Kusmierczyk at email@example.com. Spread the word on Twitter by using hashtag #scitechweek.