Get the latest Tech News, Events, Talent & Tech Jobs in Windsor-Essex & Chatham-Kent delivered directly to your inbox each month.
- This event has passed.
Teachers Learning Code Foundations Course (Part-Time 10 Week Program)
March 15 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
With the hands-on, social and collaborative learning activities we are known and loved for, this part-time 10-week program will equip you – Grade 4-9 educators across Canada – with the skills you need to integrate coding into your existing curriculum!
Throughout this program, you will:
- Choose coding languages/tools that meet your learners’ needs
- Participate in unplugged coding activities from the learner perspective
- Build multiple unique projects using block-based coding tools (e.g. Scratch, micro:bit) and text-based coding languages (e.g. Python)
- Explore the Teachers Learning Code lesson plan catalog
- Connect coding to existing curricular outcomes and objectives
- Learn tips and tricks for assessment
- Put it all together by prepping for and teaching simple lessons in your own classroom
What’s in it for me?
- A blended learning experience with opportunities to work at your own pace, as well as learn from and collaborate with your cohort in real-time
- Access to our community of facilitators and subject matter experts who teach coding all day, every day
- Support from like-minded peers as you get hands-on practice teaching coding in your class
- A certificate of completion*
- A classroom technology fund to help you add some coding tools/hardware your supply closet*
*upon completion of minimum requirements
Who is it for?
This course is designed for Grade 4-9 educators across Canada, who are absolute beginners when it comes to teaching code.
You will require access to a classroom, as you will have 3 opportunities throughout the course to prepare for and teach a coding lesson to your own learners (with support from your facilitators and peers, of course!)
For more details on the course, including the schedule and completion requirements, view the course syllabus.
At a Glance
Ideal learner: Grade 4-9 educators across Canada with little to no experience teaching code Program Length: 10 weeks Format: Blended Live Sessions: Wednesdays @ 6:30 PM EST Total Time Commitment: Up to 3 hours/week, including time for teaching practice Class Size: Under 50 learners Cost: Free
None! This course is designed for beginners.