In conjunction with Global Entrepreneurship Week in the November, the CYBF (Canadian Youth Business Foundation) is launching its second YOU Innovate challenge. In a nutshell, the contest takes people aged 16 or older and asks them to transform an everyday object into an entrepreneurial opportunity. Last year’s object, a coffee cup, spawned tons of entries from across the country. This year’s object has not yet been announced. Below is a playlist featuring 12 of last year’s regional winners:
In last year contest, however, there were no entries from Windsor to our knowledge. Thirteen regional champions split $25,000 in cash prizes and the winning team from Brandon University in Manitoba received $5,500 and a trip to Liverpool representing Canada’s innovative minds at the Global Entrepreneurship Congress. Do you want a piece of this pie? Do you want the chance to be labeled Canada’s Most Innovative Mind? You can find information about the contest on this page: http://www.cybf.ca/cybf_initiatives/gew-canada/youinnovate/!
For educators, there is the opportunity to integrate this contest into your semester! For information on how to do so, please click here: http://www.cybf.ca/cybf_initiatives/gew-canada/youinnovate/faculty/.
Here are the key dates for the contest:
- September 13: YOU Innovate Canada registrations open! Get started early by registering your team. You’ll be notified by email once the top secret object is announced.
- September 27: CYBF announces the top secret, everyday household object – GET INNOVATIVE!
- September 27 to October 15: YOU Innovate Canada is integrated into classrooms across Canada and/or students are encouraged to participate on their own. Applications will be accepted from individuals and teams across Canada.
- October 15: Last day for YOU Innovate Canada video submissions (11:00 p.m. EST)
- October 22: Vote for your favourite video! Public voting starts at 11:00 a.m.
- October 26: Public voting ends at 11:00 p.m. EST
- October 31 to November 7: Judging by our expert panel.
- November 12 to 18: Champions announced during Global Entrepreneurship Week 2012.
Good luck and more information to come in the coming weeks!