Jerry’s Friends Day is a tribute event for Jerry Slavi. A local philanthropist, business owner, organizer extraordinaire, Jerry supported organizations and causes that stressed participation, opportunity, and fun. He was passionate about Windsor and helped to build expertise in the track and field community to host world class events such as the Canadian Olympic Track and Field qualifying meet for the 2008 Beijing Olympics. His enthusiasm extended to all age groups with Knobby’s Kids offering a skate and hockey program for 3 to 13-year olds.
Jerry’s Friends Day, held at University of Windsor’s Alumni Field starting at 5pm on August 25th, 2018, is open to the entire community and is an opportunity for his family to thank everyone who came into Jerry’s life and gave of their time, support and friendship.
Charities close to Jerry will be participating at the event including:
- Knobby’s Kids – Join mini-hockey scrimmage games or test your speed at shoot the net. Hockey sticks provided.
- University of Windsor Athletic Club – Make sure your running shoes are on to sign up for a mini-track meet. Different age divisions.
- EMS & William E. Macri 4th Memorial Watch – Kids can check out the ambulance while parents/grandparents can learn about the Vulnerable Patient Program
- St. Clair College Alumni Association – 3 princesses will be waiting to greet kids – have your cameras ready.
- Windsor Regional Hospital Foundation – Bring your teddy bear or stuffie to the Teddy Bear Clinic for a complete check-up.
- Windsor Hospice – Be ready to dance on the track as the Hospice rock n roll band takes stage at 8 pm.
The evening culminates with fireworks at approx. 9 pm.
Donations will be accepted for these important charities during the event so bring your change and small bills.
Other activities include:
- Matthew Romain, Laughtertainer at the Stadium entrance gates
- Fire department arrives at 6 pm to help cool down active kids
- Food trucks
- Zoo2You Petting Zoo
- Popcorn, cotton candy, hot dogs & sausages
- Face painting and tattoos
A special Memory Lap for Jerry will commence at 5:30, and for a donation, guests will receive an official Jerry’s Friends Day runners bib to join the celebratory race.
The Slavik family is grateful to the University of Windsor, WFS (Windsor Factory Supply), the City of Windsor, the Running Factory, Running Count, K & H Fireworks, and so many more for making this event possible.
Donations are being accepted online at http://www.gofundme.com/jerry039s-friends.
Visit https://jerrysfriendsacelebration.blogspot.com to learn about the charities to benefit from this event.
You must be logged in to post a comment.