Opportunity alert via FIRST Forward Canada
FIRST Robotics Canada is now accepting applications for the 2019-2020 Youth Council!
After incredible success of the Girls in STEM Student Council for the past two years, we are proud to announce we are expanding this initiative to a Youth Council. Within this council, there will be sub-committees including girls in STEM so the past years’ hard work and initiatives can be continued and proliferated.
A total of twelve (12) council members will be selected for the 2019-2020 year: comprised of diverse youth representative of various backgrounds and experience. Boys, girls and non-binary individuals are welcome to apply.
Please read the guidelines below before applying for the Youth Council. Applications will be based on the written application, along with a telephone interview.
FIRST Canada Youth Council Guidelines
The following are guidelines that the FIRST Robotics Canada Youth Council members are expected to abide by during their term on the Youth Council:
1. Continued communication with the Youth Council throughout term
- Communication is imperative to a successful term on the Council
- Communication regarding check ins, projects, events, etc. via email
- Attending regularly scheduled meetings via online conference calls with other members and Council facilitators
2. Allocate time to take on/work on projects and initiatives at the Youth Council facilitators discretion
- Being punctual with project deadlines
- Collaborating with other members
- Taking responsibility for project/initiative completion
- Avoiding favouritism of FIRST teams within projects/initiatives
- ie. be cognisant when posting on Youth Council social media/representing the Youth Council at events
3. Respecting of other members and Youth Council facilitators
- Positive collaboration and teamwork are integral to the Youth Council
- Respect other members opinions, ideas and beliefs
4. Be a positive representative of FIRST Canada and of the Youth Council
- Properly conduct yourself when attending events
- Your behaviour and actions are reflective of FIRST Canada and the Youth Council
5. Involvement/Preparation for meetings
- When attending meetings it is encouraged that you come prepared with ideas and thoughts as per the meeting agenda
- Do not be afraid to bring forward ideas – we embrace this!
- You get out what you put in, do your best to stay on top of communications and stay involved with the Council
6. Giving back to the FIRST Community
- While serving your term on the Youth Council you will be creating projects and initiatives that will be rolled out into the FIRST community
- After your term is complete it is expected that you continue to give back to your local FIRST community by helping implement the projects and initiatives the Youth Council creates
Student council members must currently be a high school participant on an FTC or FRC team (for the 2019-2020 season) or have previously been a participant on an FTC or FRC team for at least one year.
Council Member Terms
- Members will have a one year term, and have the opportunity to apply for a second year based on their attendance and contribution during their first year on the council.
- Members will be on the Youth Council for one year to start (ex. September – August). Second year participation will be evaluated in July prior to the second term.
As per the guidelines, it is expected that once members are finished their term they will then go back to their FIRST communities and help to roll out Council based initiatives. This will allow for the Council’s message and goals to be more widespread across Canadian FIRST communities. This also gives members who are done their term a way to still be connected to and assisting the Council.
Closing date for applications is August 12th, 2019 (11:59 pm EST).
You must be logged in to post a comment.